Monday, June 27, 2011

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered"

This morning, everyone in the program arose bright and early to meet our coach on time. The coach was supposed to arrive at 9 and transport us first to Penshurst Place and thence to Hampton Court. At about 9:30, our program directors were informed that the driver had encountered traffic and would be fifteen minutes late. So we waited. For about four hours. At 1:00, we finally gave up, and the coach company canceled the ride, ending our hopes of reaching either site at all. Our poor directors were considerably out of sorts.

However, it did have some advantages: we all got a great deal of sun (praise God it wasn't raining), the hotel owner let us sit in the fenced-off park in the center of the crescent, and we had a lovely poetry reading and recitation. I recited Hardy's "The Oxen," which went rather well. (It's a delightful poem, you should look it up) My favorite part was listening to the poetry that other students had written. Their work was truly remarkable! I am most certainly not a real poet--I only dabble occasionally--and so I certainly appreciated the quality of their art.
Anyway, I am enjoying a relaxing afternoon watching Youtube, because I am not supposed to go out by myself on my mother's orders. I did bend the rule and walk three blocks for postcards and an early dinner, though, I must confess. Anyway, I had better work on those now. Toodle-pip, what?

No comments: