Monday, July 4, 2011

A Few Thoughts from an Oxford Don

Thinking about passages from two wonderful essays by C.S. Lewis in The Weight of Glory today.
The first is from a sermon entitled "A Slip of the Tongue," which is about our own desire to only give part of ourselves to God. It convicted me so much as I read it during my devotions this afternoon, because I detect in myself the overmastering desire to remain in control of my life, to keep some part for myself, to avoid anything embarrassing or uncomfortable that God might ask me to do. Lewis so truly points out that God does not give us this option.

"It is a remarkable fact that on this subject Heaven and Hell speak with one voice. The tempter tells me, “Take care. Think how much this good resolve, the acceptance of this Grace, is going to cost.” But Our Lord equally tells us to count the cost…What matters, what Heaven desires and Hell fears, is precisely that further step, out of our depth, out of our own control. And yet, I am not in despair… I do not think any efforts of my own will can end once and for all this craving for limited liabilities, this fatal reservation. Only God can. I have good faith and hope He will. Of course, I don’t mean that I can therefore, as they say, “sit back.” What God does for us. He does in us. The process of doing it will appear to me to be the daily and hourly repeated exercises of my own will in renouncing this attitude, especially each morning, for it grows all over me like a new shell each night. Failures will be forgiven; it is acquiescence that is fatal, the permitted, regularised presence of an area in ourselves which we still claim for our own. We may never, this side of death, drive the invader out of our territory, but we must not be in the Resistance, not in the Vichy government. And this, so far as I can yet see, must be begun again every day. Our morning prayer should be that in the Imitation: Da hodie perfecte incipere– grant me to make an unflawed beginning today, for I have done nothing yet."

The second is from "On Forgiveness," which relates the vital difference between forgiveness and excusing, and how that relates both to our confession to God and to our forgiveness of others.
"Now it seems to me that we often make a mistake both about God's forgiveness of our sins and about the forgiveness we are told to offer to other people's sins. Take it first about God's forgiveness, I find that when I think I am asking God to forgive me I am often in reality (unless I watch myself very carefully) asking Him to do something quite different. I am asking him not to forgive me but to excuse me. But there is all the difference in the world between forgiving and excusing. Forgiveness says, "Yes, you have done this thing, but I accept your apology; I will never hold it against you and everything between us two will be exactly as it was before." If one was not really to blame then there is nothing to forgive. In that sense forgiveness and excusing are almost opposites.
...
A great deal of our anxiety to make excuses comes from not really believing in it, from thinking that God will not take us to Himself again unless He is satisfied that some sort of case can be made out in our favor. But that is not forgiveness at all. Real forgiveness means looking steadily at the sin, the sin that is left over without any excuse, after all allowances have been made, and seeing it in all its horror, dirt, meanness, and malice, and nevertheless being wholly reconciled to the man who has done it.
...
When it comes to a question of our forgiving other people, it is partly the same and partly different. It is the same because, here also forgiving does not mean excusing. Many people seem to think it does. They think that if you ask them to forgive someone who has cheated or bullied them you are trying to make out that there was really no cheating or bullying. But if that were so, there would be nothing to forgive. (This doesn't mean that you must necessarily believe his next promise. It does mean that you must make every effort to kill every taste of resentment in your own heart - every wish to humiliate or hurt him or to pay him out.)
...
This is hard. It is perhaps not so hard to forgive a single great injury. But to forgive the incessant provocations of daily life - to keep on forgiving the bossy mother-in-law, the bullying husband, the nagging wife, the selfish daughter, the deceitful son - How can we do it? Only, I think, by remembering where we stand, by meaning our words when we say in our prayers each night "Forgive our trespasses* as we forgive those that trespass against us." We are offered forgiveness on no other terms. To refuse it is to refuse God's mercy for ourselves. There is no hint of exceptions and God means what He says."

Convicted and challenged? I certainly am.

2 comments:

The Wanderer said...

These are some very helpful words, but I have one question - I got the feeling while reading the first passage that it was almost implying the ability to fall from Grace. Is that underlying the passage at all?

S. E. Coogan said...

Well, Lewis wasn't a Calvinist, so that could be an underlying assumption. However, I think the words still ring true. Perhaps those who never truly seek to surrender are not saved in the first place? We know from Scripture (Matthew 7 for example) that many will think they are saved and yet find out on judgment day that they never knew Christ at all. At the very least, the failure to obey consistently slows and may prevent the process of sanctification, making in the best case scenario a very ineffective Christian.
Lewis' intent is to share this challenge which he struggles with in the hopes that it will spur his fellow believers' on to more closely following Christ. I think he does that very effectively. The entire essay is thoroughly worth reading.