Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Great Books

One of my goals for the next year is to complete a survey of world history via the great books. I am currently up to the Roman Empire. Hopefully, the next ten months or so will see me through the Early Church, Medieval literature, Enlightenment philosophy, the Revolutionary war, all the way up to Marx, Darwin, Nietzche and Freud.

I'm posting my reading list here to hold myself accountable. I will try to post updates over the course of my journey.


On the Incarnation, Athanasius
Confessions, Augustine
City of God, Book 8, Augustine
The Mabinogian
Cur Deus Homo, Anslem
Aquinas, Selected Writings, Goodwin
Le Morte D'Arthur, Malory
The Prince, Machiavelli
Utopia, Moore
Commentary on Galatians, Luther
Institutes of the Christian Religion, Calvin
The Faerie Queene, Spenser
Don Quixote, Cervantes
The Rights of Man, Paine
The Communist Manifesto, Marx, Engels
Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevsky
On the Origin of Species, Darwin
Thus Spoke Zarathrusta, Nietzche
The Interpretation of Dreams, Freud
Mein Kampf, Hitler
Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, Stoppard
_ _ _
"The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow if I can, pursuing it with weary feet until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet, and whither then I cannot say."
-J.R.R. Tolkien

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Sarah, you have successfully made me feel like an under-achieving idiot. ;)

If you read all those, major props from D.