Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Man is not God

Ok, so I have to confess I've been tardy on the reading list. I wrote out a beautiful schedule, and as soon as debate and community college season came along, I forgot about it. This only serves to remind me once again of my imperfections.

However, I have gotten some reading done recently. Last week, I picked up H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau, a brief but fascinating novel--Frankenstein meets The Lord of the Flies. It tells the story of a man shipwrecked on an island inhabited by two men and their scientific experiments. Dr. Moreau, the mastermind behind the projects, is brilliant but obsessed, determined to turn animals into humans. Despite his years of work, he is incapable of overcoming the animals' natural instincts. They become horrific creatures, cringing, bestial mockeries of humanity. Eventually, both Dr. Moreau and his assistant fall prey to these imperfect creations.
It struck me that the reason this novel is so horrific is that we are all born with an inate understanding of Creation. God has made man fearfully and wonderfully, to have dominion over the beasts of the earth. The evolutionary idea that beasts can become human is not much different than the idea that humans can devolve into beasts.
Nevertheless, every such fanciful experiment with human life will ultimately run into the same problem: we don't know enough. We are not great enough to be Creators, or powerful enough to keep our Creations under control. Thankful this Christmas for a Sovereign God, who gave Himself for us instead of falling prey to us.

No comments: