Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Some Exciting Endeavors

Hello friends,

I know I've been away from this blog for a while, chiefly because I often feel I have little constructive to say. I also know that I'm quite terrible at following through on blog projects I propose. I've been so consumed just by doing the reading for the GRE, there's been little time for creative writing in response.

Nevertheless, I did want to tell you all about a couple of projects I'm excited about. I may write more about my progress here. No promises, but I hope they will be long term commitments, and as such, they may well show up here again.


First, as I've written before, creative writing more has been one of my goals for the new year. It turns out, that creative writing has taken the form of a novel. I admit that with some trepidation, because I seriously doubt my own creative capacities, and I'm particularly skeptical of my ability to write fiction worth reading. However, I've always dreamed of writing a novel. So I've decided just to give it a try--to see a project through to its end. I'm not going to describe the plot here, because it's not very well fleshed-out yet, and I'm still quite self-conscious of it. But I'll let you know about my progress now and again, and hopefully, down the road, I'll feel more confident and be able to share a few more details. Ultimately, the goal is to muster up enough persistence to actually improve my ability as an imaginative writer. I've already found that developing a character and trying to describe situations and locations accurately has challenged me to observe my surroundings more carefully and to understand other people better. Hopefully, even if this process is not particularly productive in the creative sense, it will be personally beneficial.

Second, I'm undertaking a new fitness regimen that I'm quite excited about. The National Health Service here in England offers a nine-week podcast program called "Couch to 5k," meant for people like me, who have no training in distance running. I'm hoping to complete that program, as well as consistently do interval workouts and pilates on off-days. It's only been a week or so, but I'm finding this routine sustainable, and I hope it will produce an effective habit of exercise.

I've also discovered a new diet trick which I've found really helpful. My most unhealthy food habit, apart from a passionate love of chocolate, is a tendency to snack on carb-dense food. I love bread! It's something I find extremely difficult--not to mention unhappy--to entirely eliminate from my diet, so instead of attempting to do that, I've started avoiding bread, potatoes, and rice between breakfast and lunch. I have a bit of toast in the morning with my egg and fruit, which gives me a bit of extra energy for the day, and I have it with dinner to make a full meal, and in between, I eat a killer salad and fruit and protein-high snacks like yoghurt or cheese. It's a bit difficult, but it works, and it's not nearly as hard as more drastic reductions would be. Thus far, I feel a good bit healthier than I have for a while, which is ultimately my goal--to have plenty of energy, and to be healthy and in good shape.

Anyway, I've rambled about myself far more than I normally would on this blog. But I'm excited about these things, so I may as well share them with you.

Blessings,
Sarah

No comments: