Friday, April 11, 2014

The Epic of the Universe

Just a musing from my devotions this morning:


As I read about Jesus healing people in the Gospel of Mark, I wonder at the stories of these people. How did the demon possessed man come to be that way? How did the old woman have enough faith to touch Jesus' robe for healing, after years of medical treatments? Who did the young girl whom Jesus called back to life, grow up to be? How did they come to those moments? How did those moments change their lives? 

We don't get to know--after all, Mark is trying to succinctly convey the arc of Jesus' ministry. There's not much time for others' stories. But maybe someday, we'll get to hear all the details. Maybe someday in heaven, we'll meet these people and see the richness of the way God worked in their lives--we'll get to hear the whole, epic narrative, not just some snapshots. The thought reminds me of a quote from Marilyn Robinson's Gilead that I adore:


“In eternity this world will be like Troy, I believe, and all that has passed here will be the epic of the universe, the ballad they sing in the streets.”
Is there a more beautiful thought than that?

No comments: